Description: The volunteer Press Officer would help EcoWB share news and updates about our growing organization with our community and the public. The Press Officer would be expected to learn about EcoWB’s projects and outreach activities and write about them in a compelling and succinct way to engage readers. Work would be conducted remotely from the volunteer’s location and is expected to amount to 8-12 hours per month. Applicant must be willing to serve as Press Officer for a minimum of 1 year.
- As part of EcoWB’s Marketing & Communications team, assist with the creation of content for external communications with potential funders, partners, news outlets, and the general public.
- Communicate regularly with project managers and board members to learn about recent developments
- Prepare press releases about recent activities for different media formats
- Develop contacts and foster relationships with media outlets whose areas of interest would include EcoWB projects
- Craft press guidelines for EcoWB
- Monitor media coverage
- Write updates and newsletters to be published in EcoWB social media, website, and emails
- Participate in meetings of the Marketing & Communications team
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Awareness of audiences and sensitivity to how they are addressed
- Competent with digital media
- Understanding of journalistic ethics
- Self-motivated and able to work with minimal direction
- Proven experience and previous success writing or publishing for academic, press, or digital forms of media
- Scientific literacy, professional work experiences or academic studies in a science field
- Preference will be given to applications with a college degree in communications, journalism, media studies, public relations, or a related field (or equivalent work experience)
- Ability to write and speak Spanish is helpful, but not required
To apply, please send a statement of interest and a current resume or CV to EcoWB’s Volunteer Coordinator, Danielle Reich, at firstname.lastname@example.org.